By Anonymous

After I graduated from high school, I made the determination to finish wearing makeup. I vividly call back looking at myself in the mirror without makeup and existence scared to really look at my ain reflection. It was only until I had on makeup for the twenty-four hour period that I could wait at myself without cringing. I knew in the moment, this was not okay. On i hand, I generally enjoyed makeup, only on the other hand, I realized I had been using information technology as a crutch to go along myself from truly loving my physical appearance. And then, I made the selection not to wear makeup for a while. I wanted to get to the place where I would exist able to wear makeup in a way that added to what I hoped would become my already existing self-confidence.

Flash forward two years later, and here I am, still not wearing makeup. After getting over the initial hurdle of desperately wanting to cover every imperfection I perceived, I realized I was so much more at peace with my personal conviction when I forgoed makeup altogether. Information technology was astonishing to feel truly comfortable in my own skin for the offset time in my life. Still, I was confronted daily by many feminist issues surrounding the modern conversation about makeup. The starting time hard crossroad I came to was whether or non I should wear makeup to a job interview. I was and then paranoid if I did non article of clothing any makeup, my potential employer would perceive me as lazy, tired, unkempt, etc. Most every woman that wears makeup has experienced the slew of "concerns" people have for their well-being if they get a day without it.

Amongst other women, I noticed some speculated I choose not to wear makeup equally an attack on their freedom to enjoy the artistry and enhancement of makeup. Others envied the freedom I had in my workplace to article of clothing makeup, or non wear it. I had a close friend at the time, who was required to wear a total face of makeup every bit a part of her dress code. Her male coworkers could article of clothing makeup but it was by no means a requirement. At the heart of the event, perpetuating all of the trickle-downwards effects that follow, is the media and many men brand something like makeup into a requirement, indication of character, standard of beauty, etc.

My decision to stop wearing makeup was non a politically charged act of defiance. It was a choice fabricated as a personal stride toward being at peace with my physical advent. But those effectually me, for better or for worse, frequently box me into having an agenda. All of this has opened my eyes to the larger issues near this topic. I made the conscious choice going into that job interview to not habiliment makeup and hazard the negative opinions someone might have of me. In the interview, I had to ask "Is it okay that I exercise non wear any makeup?" Their response was 'Yes, of course" but there was hesitation.

I made the conscious pick to non work anywhere where I might feel pressured to habiliment makeup. But I still beloved the artistry of makeup. I beloved the talent other people have, and I appreciate the passion others have for it. I encourage the women around me to present their face to the globe in whatever way makes them feel the most confident.